TEKS, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, is the state's curriculum which outlines the framework of learning from elementary school to high school in the state of Texas. All students are provided with instructions about TEKS by the districts.
Structure of TEKS
There are eight strands of TEKS across which education is imparted from elementary level of education to high school education. These eight strands can be listed as:
TEKS is designed to build and connect education across different grades and courses. Interdisciplinary instruction to impart education has been a key feature of TEKS. Points of view from historical contexts are considered and use of primary and secondary sources is encouraged. Identification of bias in written and visual materials is another prime feature of TEKS. The courses are chosen and designed to serve for a better foundation. Subjects (such as Economics) with a larger proportion of enrichment factor have been sidelined.
Social Studies TEKS Grade Levels
- Grade 1 - home, school, and community
- Grade 2 - community, state, and nation
- Grade 3 - communities (past/present, here/there)
- Grade 4 - Texas in the Western Hemisphere
- Grade 5 - United States studies
- Grade 6 - Contemporary World Societies
- Grade 7 - Texas studies
- Grade 8 - United States (Early Colonial Period Through Reconstruction)
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills by Chapter
- English Language Arts and Reading
- Social Studies
- Languages Other Than English
- Health Education
- Physical Education
- Fine Arts
- Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits
- Agricultural Science and Technology Education
- Business Education
- Health Science Technology Education
- Home Economics Education
- Technology Education/Industrial Technology Education
- Marketing Education
- Trade and Industrial Education
- Technology Applications
- Career Orientation
- Spanish Language Arts and English as a Second Language
TEKS by Grade Level and Course
- Grade 1
- Grade 2
- Grade 3
- Grade 4
- Grade 5
- Grade 6
- Grade 7
- Grade 8
- World History
- U.S. History
- Advanced Studies
- Special Topics in SS
- Research Methods
- World Geography
- AP & IB Courses
TAKS, Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, statewide assessment program was implemented during the 2002-2003 school year. Assessment of TEKS is carried out by TAKS.
TAKS assesses the skills learnt in TEKS. There are three evaluation tests for TAKS. These assessments can be carried out in grade 8, grade 10 and at exit level i.e. grade 11. TAKS is designed to more accurately evaluate the learning and reflects better institutional practice.
TAKS assessment works under five underlying objectives at grade8, grade 10 and exit level:
- Demonstrate an understanding of issues and events in U.S. history
- Demonstrate an understanding of geographic influences on historical issues and events
- Demonstrate an understanding of economic and social influences on historical issues and events
- Demonstrate an understanding of political influences on historical issues and events
- Use critical-thinking skills to analyze social studies information
|Social and Economic Influences
|Social Studies Skills
Composition of Grade 10 Assessment
- Objective 1: 4 student expectations
- Objective 1 : 6 student expectations
- one 8th grade
- five world studies
- Objective 3: 3 student expectations
- Objective 4: 8 student expectations
- Objective 5: 7 student expectations
- three 8th grade
- four world studies
Exit Level test calls for a comprehensive knowledge and familiarity with Social Studies curriculum from K-12. Social Studies instruction at all grade levels lead to the exit level test. Grade level tests are seen as markers and exit level test comprises comprehensive knowledge of all grade levels.
The study pattern in TEKS and assessment pattern at TAKS are vertically aligned. This vertical approach is comprehensively tested at the final Exit Level test.
Thus, while TEKS involves in disseminating information on the course curriculum, TAKS deals with assessment of the skills and knowledge gained through learning based on the curriculum. TAKS comprises multiple choice questions to test a student's learning from classroom experience. Assessment process is designed keeping in mind the student expectations and their learning based on the course curriculum.
TEKS and TAKS together intend to find connection between education and further professional development. Professional Development and Appraisal System along with TEKS and TAKS look after these criteria.
We, at TransWebTutors.com understand your requirements and queries regarding TEKS and TAKS. We have an expert faculty panel completely aware of the course curriculum and content which can provide assistance in Assignments, Projects and Homework. Online Tutoring facility is also available for TEKS and TAKS.